Amersham Society Commemorative Tablet

A historical commemorative tablet on the north side wall of the Market Hall was erected by the Society in 1972. The inscription on the tablet gives the history of Amersham from Saxon times. We are transcribing it now as a part of our ongoing work of making all the Society publications available online. 

Commemorative Tablet by Amersham Society on the Market Hall wall
Commemorative Tablet by Amersham Society on the Market Hall wall

In SAXON times this town was called AGMODESHAM. The DOMESDAY BOOK of 1086 records it as ELMODESHAM with three water mills in use along the banks of the MISBOURNE.

In the year 1200 King John granted AMERSHAM the right to hold a market and fair every year forever. AMERSHAM was a Borough for several centuries returning two Members of Parliament for periods between 1300 and 1832.

AMERSHAM was an active centre of Dissent from the 14th century onwards and some inhabitants suffered martyrdom. During the Civil War AMERSHAM strongly adhered to the Parliamentary cause. Oliver Cromwell’s wife lived here. In the 17th century Amersham was the home of prominent Quakers who suffered great persecution.

AMERSHAM was renowned at the end of the 18th century as a centre of the black lace making industry.

This stone was erected by the AMERSHAM Society
1972